In 1820 John McCrea came from County Donegal in Ireland and settled in Shannon, New Brunswick, named after the first settler John Shannahan. In the 1940's John McCrea great grandson of the first John McCrea bought land next to the original McCrea homestead in Shannon. John's two sons Lawrence and Gordon began to farm this area.
Lawrence continued to expand the farm as land in the area became available."Coming
to the farm is like coming home and reliving all our childhood memories"
- Guest comment - Lawrence's son James has continued this tradition and the once 300-acre farm now measures in excess of 5000 acres. In 1972 the farm was incorporated and became McCrea Farms Ltd. James has been the President of the farm since 1980. We manage a beef and dairy herd of over 200 head. The woodlot is managed to produce forest products, maple syrup, Christmas Trees and Christmas Wreathes while at the same time enhancing the area for wildlife, recreation and the protection of streams, soils and plant communities. The farm is centrally located in New Brunswick and "Finding you and your beautiful farm was an unexpected but thoroughly delightful experience"
- Guest comment -offers farm vacation, fishing, hunting, swimming, boating, woodlot tours and woodlot trails for hiking, mountain biking, skiing and snowshoeing. Since John McCrea arrived in Shannon in 1821, seven more generations have stayed to live and farm in the area. Many visitors as well as those passing by have exclaimed "the farm is the most beautiful farm they have ever seen". It is set among rolling hills and forest land and has the quality of taking one back in time to a simpler lifestyle.
Historic Sites to visit on the Farm
Craft House. This house was built in the 1850's. The house and surrounding farm land and forest were purchased by the McCrea's in 1949. The original cedar shingle siding remains in good condition. This house has no electricity or running water save the hand pump on the front lawn.
House. The guest house was built in 1910 by the Jones Family.
"The week went too fast, it gets harder to leave
- Guest comment - Although the house has been renovated and modernized many of the original features of the home have been maintained. This farm and house were purchased by the McCrea's in the 1970's in order to increase production of hay and grain to feed an increasing herd of dairy and beef cattle. At this time the family decided that starting a Farm Vacation would make good use of the Jones House.
Swimming Hole. The swimming hole site is the original location of the Jones Mill. The mill was a sawmill and grist mill. It was designed and constructed by John Jones in the mid 1800's.
Northrup House. This is one of three original homes built by the first settlers in Shannon which is still standing. The house which James and Anna McCrea live in is another of the originals. This house overlooks McCrea's Lake, the site of a commercial U-fish operation.